Monday, December 13, 2010

DIY Save The Dates: Step Two, Card Making

Firstly, I designed a million Save the Dates, and then I finally decided on one, meaning we officially had a magnet, which made me just about as happy as a clam (... or giraffe).

Now that I got that out of the way (finally!), I needed a way to package or send off that little guy. I went back to my inspiration pics and remember the STD I saw that came with a post card. (source)
I loved the idea of sending our STD with some sort of card, but wasn't sure how it'd work out. I was still kind of stuck on the idea of using a rack card, so I thought that maybe I'd attach my magnet to the top of a 4"x9" card. . . but then I didn't know what else would go on the card if I had all that space.

Then I decided to keep it simple, and use a regular sized post card.

Unlike our millions STD designs, I pulled this card together quickly without very many revisions.

The design looked like this:
Funny, that looks like it could be a magnet on it's own, doesn't it? Ahhh, oh well ;-).

I mixed small caps, lower case, and sentence case letters from the typeface Mrs. Eaves by Emigre. Our names are in Veer's popular Feel Script.

Then I tried using it vertically.
Which I didn't love . . . so I tried it horizontally and then kind of loved it.
And then, being the smarty pants Giraffe I am, I decided I should include some sort of marker on the postcard so I would know where to place the magnet when the time came. I also thought it needed a little something extra.
And there is it!

I'm going to be totally honest with you guys, I love it! Just wait until you see the whole package, you guys will love it too!

How did you package your STD magnets?

0 comments: